Tips to help anyone experiencing COPD during the summertime heat
1. Create a plan of action to prepare against the hot and humid weather by checking the forecast.
2. Plan some indoor activities.
3. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
4. Avoid being outside during the hottest part of the day, 11a-3pm. Try running errands or exercising in the morning or evening hours.
5. Be aware of allergens and plants that may exacerbate COPD or asthma.
6. Take medications as directed.
7. Maintain air filters/air purifiers for inside the home.
8. Park your car in a shady area and avoid getting into a hot car.
9. Refrain from smoking.
10. Wear loose fitting, light colored clothing.
11. Practice breathing exercises such as pursed lip breathing and/or diaphragm breathing.
The Acuity team respiratory experts from Ohio Valley are working to support you. If you or someone you know is suffering with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and needs an answer to a question, please call us today at (304) 919.4300.