The Pulmonary program at Acuity Healthcare is designed to help medically complex patients with acute or chronic lung disease reach their maximum potential lung function. This may include weaning from a mechanical ventilator or otherwise decreasing reliance on supplemental oxygen so that patients may return to the community. Our goal is simple: Liberation from supplemental oxygen to the maximum extent possible for each patient.
Under the personal direction of board certified pulmonary intensivists, our team balances the complex individual clinical needs of each patient with proven pulmonary protocols. Our patients are closely monitored by an interdisciplinary team which includes at minimum: Physicians from multiple specialties, experienced nursing and respiratory care staff, rehabilitation therapists, dietitians, and case managers. The team works collaboratively to ensure our patients receive the highest caliber of treatment. We place a great deal of emphasis on communication with patients and family members throughout the delivery of our individualized treatment plans.
Acuity Specialty Hospital is capable of managing many types of respiratory interventions or treatment modalities, including:
Mechanical ventilation via an oral endotracheal tube [ETT] or tracheostomy
- Conversion from ETT to tracheostomy
- Noninvasive mechanical ventilation such as CPAP and BiPAP
- High concentrations of oxygen via mask or nasal cannula
- Pulmonary toileting via chest PT, flutter devices, vests, or specialty beds
- Chest tubes (thoracostomies)
- Passy-Muir speaking valves
Our ventilator weaning rates are consistently well above the national average. We would love the opportunity to care for you or your loved one!
The Wound Care Program at Acuity Specialty Hospital is world class. Our wound care nurses and physicians hold multiple certificates which attest to their skill; however, it is their experience, creativity, and passion for patient care that truly sets Acuity apart.
Our dynamic wound care team specializes in treating wounds of all types including pressure injuries, vascular wounds, diabetic wounds, surgical wounds, burns, fistulae, traumatic injuries, as well as continence and ostomy issues. Acuity utilizes the most effective advances in wound healing and ostomy technology.
Treatments and modalities available as indicated to promote healing include but aren’t limited to:
- Comprehensive pressure injury prevention program in place for all patients
- Surgical wound care
- Negative pressure (“vacuum”) wound therapy
- Ultrasound wound therapy
- Wound debridement- surgical and non-invasive methods
- Specialized support surfaces and specialty beds available to meet wound care and bariatric needs
- Specialty /complex dressings
- Fecal and urinary management devices
- Compression therapy
- Wound closure devices
Acuity recognizes that in order to heal complex wounds, the entire patient needs to be considered. After all, the skin is the largest organ of the human body! Our interdisciplinary clinical team evaluates a patient’s overall health, nutrition and hydration, pain management, infection risk, and other factors to individualize a comprehensive plan of care for each patient. Progress is tracked using digital wound care photography, specialized software, and validated wound assessment tools. Patients and families are included every step of the way to ensure that wounds continue to improve along the continuum of care.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy “HBO”
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is an advanced form of therapy during which you breathe 100 percent oxygen while enclosed in a chamber containing elevated atmospheric pressure. This treatment enables your blood to carry up to 20 times the usual amount of oxygen to your body’s tissues, triggering your body’s natural wound-healing mechanisms to function more efficiently and accelerate the wound-healing process. Approximately 16 percent of wound care patients may benefit.
Treatment Indications for HBOT:
- Diabetic Ulcers
- Gas Gangrene (myositis and myonecrosis)
- Enhanced healing of problem wounds
- Exceptional blood loss anemia
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections
- Osteomyelitis (refractory)
- Delayed radiation injury
- Compromised Skin grafts and flaps
- Arterial Insufficiency Ulcers
What does HBOT do to the body?
- Decreased Inflammation
- Saturates the body with oxygen, including the plasma and white cells, increasing the oxygen level by 20-30%
- Increases the body’s ability to fight infection
- Creates new capillaries and increases blood flow
- Clears and deactivates toxins and metabolic waste from the body
- Stimulates the body to create new blood cells
- Increases the body’s production of stem cells 800% (after multiple treatments)
- Accelerates the rate of healing
The Medically Complex patients at our hospitals may come from many different places: short-term acute care hospitals, emergency rooms, nursing homes, and other wound care centers, to name a few. No matter where they come from, they have come to Acuity because they require a higher level of clinical treatment and multi-disciplinary approach in which we specialize. Among the Medically Complex conditions treated at our hospitals are:
- Congestive heart failure
- Cardiovascular disease/post CABG
- Infectious diseases
- Neurological impairment
- Acute renal disease/renal failure
- Multi-system complications
- Multiple trauma
- Gastrointestinal disease
On the road to recovery, patients who are Medically Complex may require additional treatments including dialysis, nutritional services, and IV therapy.
The Acuity Specialty Hospital Infectious Disease program is designed to treat serious infections and related complications in medically complex patients, and prevent these high risk patients from acquiring further infections. While we focus on resolving a patient’s infection, we are able to support additional needs the patient may have such as ventilator weaning, nutritional support, rehabilitation therapy, and wound care.
Many of our patients come to us with multiple infections or severe complications of an infection, such as sepsis or organ dysfunction. Some of the infections may be the result of organisms which have already failed to respond to multiple antibiotic therapies. These are called “multi-drug resistant organisms” or MDROs. Our Infectious Disease specialists research each patient’s case to ensure that the patient is prescribed the most effective antibiotic combination for their specific needs.
Our interdisciplinary team provides individualized IV antibiotic therapy and supportive care under the direction of experienced board certified Infectious Disease specialists. Common infections treated include pneumonia, blood stream infections, cellulitis, infected wounds, endocarditis, osteomyelitis, urinary system infections, and intra-abdominal infections. Clinical pharmacy, radiology, surgical, and laboratory services are all available on site.
Our clinical staff are highly trained in infection control and prevention, and we have a full time Infection Prevention Nurse on staff. We closely follow CDC guidelines and best practice recommendations to prevent the introduction of new or recurrent infection. Acuity Specialty Hospital is fully equipped to manage patient isolation needs including airborne isolation. Each patient, regardless of reason for admission, is placed on contact isolation for at least the first few days of their stay at Acuity while they are evaluated by the Infection Prevention team. Patients and families are educated regarding hand hygiene, isolation, and other interventions designed to reduce the risk of infection. These practices help to protect all patients, staff, and families.
- Hospital Management Services – Acuity offers complete LTACH hospital operational management. In a “turn-key” fashion, Acuity can take a hospital from “Idea to Operation.”
- Hospital Financial Management Services – Through the vast resources located at the Financial Operations Center in Charlotte, North Carolina, Acuity has the systems and expertise necessary to provide the highest caliber of financial management services available.
- LTACH Hospital Ownership – Acuity is the only company in the country that offers to develop LTACH hospitals in Limited Partnership with area physicians and local hospitals. This “partnership” approach distinguishes Acuity from its competitors and underscores the level of commitment and service Acuity gives its clients.
- Hospital Consulting Services – With extensive experience in the development, start-up and operation of LTACH hospitals across the country, Acuity is uniquely qualified to offer a full range of consulting services including:
- Bed need analysis
- Feasibility analysis
- Certificate of Need development
- Facility design and space planning
- Operational “turn-around” strategies and implementation
Acuity has a proven track record of supporting hospitals financial outsourcing needs. Our innate flexibility and core understanding of the healthcare system has enabled Acuity to develop a broad array of financial and operational services that include full contract management services and complete consulting services. We stand ready to partner with you to increase accuracy, efficiency and performance to insure your hospital’s financial success.
Below are just some of the areas we have helped our clients with:
Billing & Collections:
- Full Service Billing & Collection of AR
- Insurance Verification, Pre-certification & Authorization
- Cash Posting
- Medicare Bad Debts
- Denial Management & Appeals
- Underpayment Reviews & Appeals
- Cash Flow Acceleration and Root Cause Analysis
- DRG Analysis
- Case Management
Health Information Management & Coding:
- Full Time or Interim Coding Support
- ICD10 Trained Coders
- HIM Coding Audits
- CDI Process Review
- Analysis of Revenue Cycle Process
- Policy Review
- Team Assessment
- Process Redesign
- Staff Education
- CDM Review
- Interface Analysis
- Patient Accounting & Billing to Record Audits
Our Finance team has extensive hospital experience supporting and leading hospitals in addition to years of experience participating in Hospital Board meetings. Our talent ranges from experienced accountants up to seasoned CFOs.
- Full Time or Interim CFO Support
- Board Reporting
- Preparation of Financial Statements
- Accounts Payable Processing & Support
- Payroll Processing & Support
- Supply Chain Spend Analysis
- Pharmacy Spend Analysis
- Operating & Capital Budgeting
- Net Revenue Projections
- Cash Flow Forecasting
- Capital Projects / ROI
- Audit Support
- Cost Reports
- Strategic Planning
- Evaluate Revenue Growth Opportunities
- Expense Monitoring & Reduction Plans
- Labor Productivity Review
Full Service Financial Management:
- Full Time CFO
- Full Accounts Payable Processing & Support
- Full Payroll Processing & Support
Financing & Debt Restructuring:
- Refinancing & Recapitalization
- Asset Backed Loans & AR Borrowing Bases
- PL/GL Review, Excess, D&O, Property, Workers Comp, Business
- Interruption, Auto, Privacy Protection & Employee Health Insurance
Post-Acute Care Alignment
The healthcare industry is changing every day and Acuity Healthcare believes it is our responsibility and mission to create a continuum of care for both patients and healthcare providers.
We understand that by expanding our programs we can:
- Improve patient care outcomes
- Strengthen the full spectrum of patient services
- Identify opportunities to enhance the quality of the patient experience
We are invested in building and developing an integrated network. Presently, we are aligning ourselves and offering post-acute care in other markets. We are in collaboration with leading healthcare providers to focus on the post-acute care continuum and to identify opportunities to enhance the quality of patient services.
As a team of committed Employee Owners, Acuity Healthcare is looking for opportunities nationwide to ensure sustained expansion.