Location: Morgantown, West Virginia
· Provides care for the adult and geriatric patient, ages 18 years and over.
· Assesses patient’s condition, learning needs and family dynamics based on systematic data collection utilizing assessment skills and tools appropriate to the respective practice area.
· Develops a comprehensive plan of care and discharge plan based on the nursing assessment and integration of the medical plan utilizing patient’s family and other health care team members.
· Implements patient care and prioritizes and collaborates with health team members as necessary.
· Coordinates and delegates the delivery of care provided by selected members of the health care team.
· Monitors and follows all procedures regarding patient telemetry; notifies Nurse of all telemetry alarms, documents alarms, gives shift reports and reports any malfunction or equipment failure.
· Evaluates outcomes of the patient care planning and teaching, collaborating and coordinating with other health care team members to revise the plan according to the changing needs of the patient.
· Communicates effectively and appropriately to patient, family and other health care providers.
· Participates in the orientation and education of RNs, LPNs, clinical personnel and students.
· Maintains clinical competency (to include age specific) by assuming responsibility for acquiring knowledge and experiences and integrates, as appropriate, into patient care delivery based upon specific patient needs.
· Documents delivery of health care and nursing process in accordance with specific unit standards and hospital nursing policy.
· Knows the rationale for the effect of medications and treatments and correctly administers same.
· Understands and follows infection control plan and patient safety protocols.
· Makes patient rounds to assess physical and emotional status and to initiate any nursing interventions.
· Responds to patient and family concerns; ensures each concern is documented and a resolution is initiated.
· Obtains report from RN being relieved from duty and provides report to RN coming on duty. Keeps the Nursing Manger, RT and others, as appropriate, informed about the status of patients and related matters. Performs or supervises complete, timely and accurate documentation of patient care.
· Performs or supervises the review of medication and treatment records for completeness, accuracy in transcription of physician orders and adherence to stop order policy.
· Performs or supervises the administration and documentation of medications, internal nutrition and treatments per the physician’s order and accurately records all care provided.
· Checks emergency equipment.
· Demonstrates procedures related to the use of nursing equipment and supplies and maintains cost control.
· Promotes the philosophy, mission and objectives of the Hospital within and to external customers.
· Demonstrates satisfactory level of interpersonal skills to interact with facility staff, administration, patients, families, customers, vendors and government agencies.
· Participates in Interdisciplinary Care Conference.
· Assists with activities of daily living, vital signs, toileting and responding to call lights.
· Demonstrates and understands the importance of and respect for the rights, dignity and individuality of each patient in all interactions.
· Demonstrates honesty and integrity at all times in the care and use of patient and hospital property.
· Possesses knowledge of emergency and disaster procedures of the facility.
· Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks/responsibilities and completes duties within allotted time.
· Seeks out external resources through conferences, workshops, etc., as necessary. Routinely shares personal knowledge with staff, managers and hospital personnel.
· Ability to carry out the essential functions of the job (with or without reasonable accommodation).
· Assures participation in facility meeting by attending at least 50% of staff meetings per year.
· Participates in hospital-wide patient safety program identifying risks to patient safety to reduce healthcare errors.
· Complies with measures for preventing exposure to blood borne pathogens.
· Participates in the Hazardous Material Program. Hazards include exposure to blood and body fluids, possible communicable diseases, sharp objects and instruments, assorted chemicals and gasses as listed in the Hazardous Materials Program Manual.
· Complies with established Safety and Patient Safety Program practices.
· Responsible for participation in Performance Improvement activities.
· Responsible for recognizing patient abuse and following policy for making appropriate referrals/interventions.
· Adheres to attendance policy as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
· Adheres to all components of the Hospital Compliance Plan in performing job duties and reports any violations or suspected violations of the Plan to the Compliance Officer.
· Demonstrates professional conduct and complies with hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
· Performs other duties as assigned or delegated by the Nurse Manager or CCC/Admin.SV or Charge Nurse.
· Limits access to protected health information (PHI) to the information reasonably necessary to do the job and share information only on a need to know basis for work purposes.
(Access to verbal, written and electronic PHI for this job has been determined based on job level and job responsibility within the organization. Computerized access to PHI for this job has been determined as described above and is controlled via user ID and password.)
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Reasonable accommodation will be provided to a qualified individual with a disability who can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION)
Graduate of accredited School of Nursing
Current RN license to practice in the state of West Virginia
ACLS certification by end of orientation period
Demonstrates clinical, leadership and managerial abilities
Working knowledge and ability to apply professional standards of practice in job situations
Working knowledge of computer and software applications used in job functions (i.e. Microsoft Office products, data entry, etc.)
Knowledge of regulatory standards and compliance requirements.
Ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and/or diagram form
Ability to define and solve problems, collects data, establish facts and draw conclusions
Strong organizational and analytical skills
Ability to deal with high stress environment
Ability to speak, read and write English
Two (2) years hospital-based clinical nursing experience as an RN in a similar clinical area
Critical Care and Telemetry Experience Bachelor of Science Degree in